Free Python Books
A list of Python books in English that are free to read online or download.
Table of Contents
- How the list got started
- What's in the list
- Why free books?
- How to contribute
- List of free Python books
- Lists of free Python books
How the list got started
I had been learning Python for a few weeks when, in January, 2019, I stumbled upon a Reddit post in r/learnpython seeking suggestions on how to become a better programmer.
One of the comments asked for good books or websites about algorithms and data structures. I had collected links to useful Python learning resources among which the free ebook Problem Solving with Algorithms and Data Structures using Python, so I shared the link in a comment.
My comment got a couple dozen upvotes, which hinted at the interest in good, easily accessible Python books. Therefore I later put together a list of all the free Python books I had found and posted it to r/Python.
I was right. My post got hundreds of upvotes and several redditors contributed links to more books and lists, thus confirming the interest in such a resource. The next step was to make my list more useful and widely available by integrating it with the suggestions I got in the Reddit post, publishing it to GitHub, and expanding it with more books.
It's the list you're reading now.
What's in the list
This list includes the entries I originally posted to Reddit, the books and other lists suggested in the comments, a few more I found since then, and any I'll discover.
What's a free Python book?
My definition is fuzzy and necessarily subjective. But I'd say it's an ebook file, a book-length document, or a website structured like a book that is about Python, is written in English, and can be read online or downloaded for free. Most short online tutorials and how-to pages probably don't qualify.
But in the end I recognize a free Python book when I see one.
The entries are grouped by category or application domain and include coverage at all skill levels, from basic to advanced. Within categories the entries are sorted alphabetically by title.
Some redditors shared links to other list of free programming books, some of which are about Python. I've included them too but there's of course some overlap with mine.
Why free books?
I don't mind paid content. In fact, I also purchased great paid Python ebooks and online resources and I'm going to get more.
However, free ebooks have several advantages such as often coming in additional handy or downloadable formats. It's also easier to get books on topics you may be interested in but don't have an immediate need for.
Thanks to the redditors who contributed book suggestions and links in my original post: AlSweigart, ASIC_SP, Bisalsn, bitcoin-dude, code_x_7777m isakar-elahim, lask757, mfitzp, pvc, warbird2k.
How to contribute
If you have books to suggest you can do a pull request or create an issue. Creating an issue is also a good way of providing other feedback.
List of free Python books
- 100 Page Python Intro
- A Byte of Python
- Code With Repl.it: Python Projects for Beginners
- Exploring Python Basics
- Full Speed Python
- Learn Python the Right Way
- Non-Programmer's Tutorial for Python 3
- Python 101
- Slither Into Python
- A Python Book: Beginning Python, Advanced Python, and Python Exercises
- Python 3 Patterns, Recipes and Idioms
- Python Notes for Professionals
AI and Machine Learning
- Machine Learning from Scratch: Derivations in Concept and Code
- Natural Language Processing with Python
- Neural Networks and Deep Learning
- Probabilistic Programming & Bayesian Methods for Hackers
- Annotated Algorithms in Python - With applications in Physics, Biology, and Finance
- How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Interactive Edition
- Problem Solving with Algorithms and Data Structures using Python
- Think Python: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist
Software Engineering and best practices
- Architecture Patterns with Python: Enabling Test-Driven Development, Domain-Driven Design, and Event-Driven Microservices
- Clean Architectures in Python: A practical approach to better software design
- Object Oriented Programming with Python: Learn essentials of OOP with Python 3
- Test-Driven Development with Python
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to Python!
- The Little Book of Python Anti-Patterns
- Data Science in Production: Building Scalable Model Pipelines with Python
- Effective Pandas
- Python for Everybody: Exploring Data In Python 3
- Getting Started With Python In The Lab: An Introductory Python Tutorial For Life Scientists
- Python Data Science Handbook
- Python for Astronomers: An Introduction to Scientific Computing
- Python & OpenGL for Scientific Visualization
- Python for Scientists and Engineers
- Coding Games With Pygame Zero & Python
- Invent Your Own Computer Games with Python
- Learn Python With Arcade Academy
- Making Games with Python & Pygame
- Program Arcade Games With Python And Pygame
Lists of free Python books
- 101+ Free Python Books
- Free Programming Books: Python
- Free Python books - pythonbooks
- Legally Free Python Books List
Each file in this repository is licensed under the CC BY 4.0 License.
Sponsor this project
If you find this resource useful and want to sponsor the project you can buy me a coffee.