Just Another Konsole YouTube-Music
I wanted to create this application so that I could use the command line to play music easily. I often play games and listen to music simultaneously but using either Spotify or playing music in a browser takes much-needed resources from my CPU and RAM.
I have spent a lot of time looking through numerous CLI based music players. But they either required setting up lots of things, needed premium features to function or sometimes flat out didn't work even after tinkering with them for hours. Hence I thought that instead of looking for a solution, I should code it myself.
So I present to you JAKYM, Just Another Konsole YouTube-Music.
- Run the program by using jakym command
jakymor alternatively call it as a python module
python -m jakym
- This will open up the jakym command window.
spotifyto play music using spotify playlist
youtubeto play music using youtube playlist
- Enter a songname in command window to search for song or just enter its youtube link to play directly from a link.
- Jakym will queue the song once you type it and allow you to add the next song.
shuffleto shuffle your queue
- The queue operates independent of the command window and plays the song on a separate thread.
- To exit the command window and hence the application simply type
To Update jakym simply run
pip install --upgrade jakym
ffmpeg is required for this program to work correctly. Install ffmpeg by following these steps :-
- On Linux - https://www.tecmint.com/install-ffmpeg-in-linux/
- On Windows - https://www.wikihow.com/Install-FFmpeg-on-Windows
simpleaudio is an optional pydub dependency, however as it is essential for proper working of jakym. Not installing simpleaudio gives major issues on both Linux and Windows.
- Install Dependencies by
sudo apt-get install -y python3-dev libasound2-dev
- Install with:
pip install simpleaudio
- Download the .whl file of simpleaudio from here
- Once downloaded, it can be installed using the following command :
pip install package_name.whl
Install by using pypi :-
pip install jakym
Run using jakym command
jakymor call it as a python module
python -m jakym
Violla jakym is now installed!
How It Works
- The program starts and runs two threads, one to input music into the playlist and the other to iterate over the playlist and download the corresponding music and play it.
- The youtube-dl library does most of the heavy lifting of both parsing links and downloading them into a suitable file format.
- The pydub and simpleaudio libraries provide cross-platform audio playback without any issues but setting up simpleaudio on windows and Linux take a different approach.
- The program runs until user specifically types exit.
|Bug fixes and Shuffle
|Added Youtube Playlist support, Improved Readme
|Added Spotify playlist support, Bug fixes
|Improved documentation, Command line integration
Copyright (c) 2021 Mayank Jha
License - GNU GPL v3